I admit it. I don’t handle pain, sickness, or anything else that’s vaguely unpleasant well at all. I am a pain wimp. I woke up about 4 am today with terrible pain radiating through my body. It did ease off eventually, and I was able to get more sleep. About mid-day, the awful pain returned, and it hasn’t left. It’s like the worst case of cramps I’ve ever had, except it’s hurting all over. If you’ve never had cramps, count yourself fortunate. The severe ones are not unlike having a tooth pulled without sedation. I wish I was exaggerating.
Anyway, the whole family is having bouts with the flu, and so my aches are just adding to the general fun of the house. However, since I was home today, I got to see the next episode of Downton Abbey. I missed last week’s episode, and since it was the only spoiler about the season I knew, I didn’t feel terrible about missing it. So, anyway, here are my predictions as to what the remainder of the season has in store. These are just predictions, so the only spoilers are regarding things that have already been shown. I’ve done a decent job of insulating myself against finding out what’s going to happen, which hasn’t been simple in light of the fact that most of the rest of the world has already seen the whole season.
1. I’m pretty sure Daisy is going to move to the farm. I think realizing that Sour-Puss has no interest in her was just the thing to push her in the farm direction. Overall, this would make me quite happy, because he does not deserve her, and she does deserve some happiness.
2. Speaking of Daisy, I’ll be surprised if Jimmy (or rather, James) doesn’t come calling. I think he’s sweet on her, and beneath his pretty boy shell, so far he seems to be a pretty decent guy. I certainly hope I’m not mistaken.
3. I believe that O’Brien is going to out Thomas. Much as I can’t stand her, this would be a positive use of her evilness. Maybe it’ll take her out of the picture too.
4. I’m expecting for Tom, in his grief, to decide that he absolutely can’t abide living without returning to Ireland. This will lead to Mary and Matthew taking baby Sybil. The only other scenario I see taking place is that Matthew will convince Tom to stay and help with the farms. Either way, I expect Mary to step in to a mother type role in Sybil’s life.
5. I am expecting an epic blow-out between Matthew and Lord Grantham. Not sure how it’s going to play out, but there’s so much tension, something is going to cause an explosion. I truly thought it was coming tonight, but I guess the girls got the fun of being the target of Lord Grantham’s ever-shortening fuse.
6. I really don’t think Bates is in the clear quite yet.
Now, I know it’s just wishful thinking, but I would really, really like to see Carson and Mrs. Hughes get together. I have a feeling that they are going to turn out just like Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson did in Remains of the Day, but since that movie scarred me for life, I’d really like to see this love story get a happy ending.
One final thought, not related to my obsession with British soap operas: If you are ill, and (like me) can’t miss work, make a point of covering your coughs. Put your mouth in your elbow. Don’t just aim towards the elbow, or raise the elbow, actually physically cover your mouth with your elbow. This business of people either barely making an effort, or making no effort at all is extremely frustrating. Cover up your mouth! This isn’t rocket science, people!