I’ll get to the rage in a moment. First, what I’m thankful for.
1. Family. Good times or bad, I love that I have a close family that is very supportive of each other.
2. My excellent friends. I’ve been very blessed with five wonderful women that I consider to be very dear friends. Each one knows me, faults and all, and still lets me be part of their lives.
3. My job. A year ago, I never would have guessed that I was just weeks away from starting a job I truly love. A job that I gladly go to, and that I truly enjoy. Also, I have a really fantastic supervisor, and I’d be really lost without her.
4. My love of reading, and the easy access to an almost unlimited supply of books that there is.
5. The roof over my head.
6. A working vehicle.
7. Snapple. Silly, I know, but it’s quite yummy.
8. Doctor Who. I love this “kid’s” show. It’s smart, funny, and is something I can share with my family and friends.
9. I’m generally healthy, and have much to live for and look forward to in this life.
Okay, so, it’s not so much rage as irritation. Tomorrow is Black Friday. I understand the theory behind the day. It makes sense that businesses want to try to get in the black before the year ends. However, and yes I know I’m not the only one saying this, it has gone from out of control to complete absurdity. It used to be just one psycho day, but now it’s almost a full week. How is this okay? Plus, it seems that there’s at least one death every year in connection with Black Friday shopping. People’s lives should be of more value. What does that say about this culture when possessions are held in higher esteem than a human being? Don’t misunderstand me, I’m as greedy as the next person, but even I have my limits.
So, if you’re going to take part in the madness, remember that your fellow shoppers are human beings. Remember that the people working in the stores aren’t making very much, aren’t getting to spend time with their loved ones (and have likely missed most and/or all of Thanksgiving), and being rude to them isn’t going to make things go any better for you.