If you’ve not seen the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who, slowly back away and go watch it. Seriously, I’m not going to hold back. I’m about to spoil it with so many spoilers.
If you’ve seen it, or if you just don’t care, keep reading.
I was one of those fortunate few that got to see the episode on a really big screen, and it was even more fantastic than I hoped it would be. I just got home a bit ago, and the feels are still really fresh, so I’m just going to fangirl for a few minutes.
One of the most fun parts of going to see it in the theater was being surrounded by hundreds of other Whovians. Even better? Some of those Whovians were in costume.
Oh, and K9 was there, too!
Then, there was the episode…which was amazing!!!!!!
First, there was a “Please behave yourself in the theater” video presented by Strax and his fellow clones. Then, to tell us it was time to put on our 3D glasses there was this whole bit with Tennant and Smith do a back and forth bit of banter.
A list of amazing things from the episode…
1. The return of David Tennant…and his hair!
2. The return of Rose, even if she was only a computer interface.
3. The screwdrivers!
4. Clara pointing out that 3 geniuses didn’t bother to check to see if the door was locked.
5. The opening credits.
6. Peter Capaldi’s eyes. Seriously, the man has amazing eyes. I’m so excited to see what he’s going to do with the role.
7. The Daleks.
8. The line about kissing the Bad Wolf Girl…and Bad Wolf Girl’s response. And Ten’s reaction to the exchange.
To me, there are two things that stick out more than anything else. First, the constant image of Rose being right next to Ten, but he was unable to see her. Knowing their history, it was really heartbreaking, and yet so perfect. Second, however, is what made it all worth it: The Curator.
I had really hoped that Tom Baker would be in this episode, but knowing his age, and that they can just add some make-up to make him look like he did in the 1970’s, I had my doubts he would truly be there. When he showed up, I cried.
This episode really was the perfect gift to us fans.